This international power generator installer and service provider made the business decision to bring their turbine blade MRO (Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul) operations in-house. To be successful they needed effective quality assurance software to support their visual and dimensional inspection processes. They were also looking for the following functionality:
- Paper-less inspection processes
- Short preparation time for audits
- Full integration with PLM and ERP systems
- Intuitive user interface with guidance for repair operators
- Possibility to collect dimensional data and have real-time validation
They found the answer in ATS Inspect.
A large part of the success of ATS Inspect is down to the consulting and groundwork carried out before an implementation that ensures that the customer is getting the most from the solution. ATS first delivered a pilot project on-site to let key users start using the software and acquire knowledge of the product. It also made the identification of the functional and technical gaps easier for the customer.
The solution was then implemented with the following functionality:
- Accurately map defects onto 3D model of turbine blade
- Repairs marked and confirmed using same 3D models
- Electronic checklists to confirm inspection is carried out correctly and to allow further information such as measurements to be recorded and analysed
- Receive 3D models and engineering instructions directly from Siemens PLM
- Receive inspection sequence of turbine numbers directly from SAP ERP
- Inspection management system for shop-floor MRO quality assurance operations