Smart manufacturing is a constantly evolving space. There are countless technologies promising to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of each operational aspect- inventory, supply chain, assembly, production, asset management, quality management, inspection, planning, etc. Such a technological abundance can lead to confusion amongst customers with so many solution providers promising a digital transformation of their plants.
However, the fear of being left behind the technological curve and losing out to competition is driving organizations across the discrete and process industries to implement these technologies.
But before they can start on their smart manufacturing journey they must answer some basic questions:
- Does my organization have the necessary Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) set-up to implement Smart Manufacturing technologies?
- What is the optimal mix of technologies suitable for my size of operations?
- What is the practical payback period / return on investment (RoI) for my investment in Smart Manufacturing?
- Do I have the processes in place to benefit from smart technologies?
- Is the culture of my plant ready for smart manufacturing?